LIC Bike Parade
6th Annual LIC BIKE PARADE
Saturday, June 8, 2013
11 AM - 3 PM: Bike Repairs/Helmet Fitting & Giveaway/Workshops
12 - 4 PM: 1st Annual Northwest Queens Food Day
3 PM: Parade along Vernon Blvd. (leaving from Broadway entrance gate)
3 - 5 PM: Waterfront Celebration at Queensbridge Park
In preparation for the parade, children and families are invited to repair their bikes with Recycle-A-Bicycle; get free helmets and fittings with the NYC Department of Transportation; and decorate their bikes with Socrates artists.
And for the first time, we invite you to compete in our KINETIC SCULPTURE CHALLENGE! Let your creativity roll... literally. Enter your moveable, human-powered sculpture-vehicle and parade it down Vernon Boulevard, with awards for Best Engineering, Best Art, and Best Costume.
KINETIC SCULPTURE CHALLENGE
- Sculptures must be vehicles – they must have wheels or moveable legs, and be able to move forward, stop and turn. No pushing, towing, or walking with sculptures.
- Sculptures must be human powered. No stored energy, motors, or electricity.
- You must be able to maintain a slow 3mph bicycle pace.
- Sculptures may be decorated in a recognizable theme, or unrecognizable, as long as it is impressive!
- SAFETY=FUN FOR EVERYONE
- Best Engineering Award – Judges award the most ingenious means of creation
- Best Art Award - Judges award the most stunning artwork
- Best Costumes – Judges Award the best dressed team or driver